Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!!!
 
I hope that the celebrations were safe and enjoyable :)  I had tons of fun here in Georgia. I am really really really starting to love the South. Haha. The tradition for New Year's in this neck of the woods is to eat Collard Greens and Black-Eyed Peas. By eating this on January 1st and its preceeding eve, you anticipate a great new year full of Dollars (the collard greens) and Cents (the black-eyed peas). It was lots of fun eating super southern meals full of those two entrees, grits, pork, mac-n-cheese, potatoes, and cobbler.
 
This week was all right I guess. I am ready for a change in the mission field. As much as I love Cornelia. I am ready to move on to new areas, investigators, work, etc. On Monday (last Monday, the reason we weren't able to Email yesterday is because the library was closed for the Holiday) we went to go see a couple people and I got superrrrr sick. I assume I got food poisoning, because I was up all night long emptying my stomach. Haha, being sick without mama nearby to take care of you is definitely one way to start missing home.
 
Tuesday I went on an exchange to Hartwell to spend time with working with the missionaries from there. Their area is struggling a little bit so it was a good opportunity for Elder Whitehead and me to help them work on a few things like time management, etc.
 
Lots of appointments have fallen through lately. Haha, I'm just kinda getting over the area as a whole. It was a bit of a disappointing week. We had a great meeting with our ward mission leader. We as a mission are trying really hard to get our wards involved in the missionary work so that it becomes their work and we are simply the servants in theirs and the Lord's hands. The Cornelia ward is awesome, we just have to slowly change a few things to make things even better so that people are more fully converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Our meeting went well-- we talked about what we can do as a team to simply help the ward our in their missionary success efforts.
 
Thursday night we had an interesting experience. We had a priest from the ward take us to go see an investigator in Toccoa. Our investigator had decided to start celebrating the New Year a little early I suppose, because when we got there he was too drunk to unlock the front door. He is in his late 50s, a real southern boy. He kept saying, "Come on in....come on in." He just couldn't understand that the deadbolt was not permitting us to open the door. After a few minutes of him trying and telling us to come on in it just became comical so we left to try back another time. I love the adventures we have as missionaries.
 
Unfortunately on Sunday I had a terrrrible migraine so it was another unhappy uneventful day. I lost it (my headache that is) by about 8 oclock when we went with a member to go see Bruce, who says to tell you all "hello." I just saw him here at the Kernelia Library returning some books.
 
Yesterday we had a fun fun P-Day at the church in Commerce with most of the other guys from our zone. The weather has been absolutely beautiful lately. Right now it is 59 degrees and sunny outside.
 
I love you so so so much and am loving my mission as well. Take care, be good. Prospero Ano Y Felicidad!
 
Elder Mikey Caplin

No comments:

Post a Comment