Oh hey FAMILY!!!!
I hope Thanksgiving was great for you as I know mine was. :)
We went over to the Wainrights' house and it wasn't a typical Thanksgiving dinner, but goodness it was good. They are from New Orleans so they bought a lot of seafood for us to eat and instead of turkey we each got a stuffed cornish hen! It was lots of fun and a ridiculously delicious dinner. The only downside is that Elder Whitehead was sick (he has a cold) so he couldn't taste anything, and he was really tired. I felt bad for him, haha they told us to come over anyway because they were all sick with colds too. Hopefully I'll fare well health wise.
![]() |
| The Wainrights--Thanksgiving Day 2010 |
It wasn't much fun having a sick person in the companionship. We didn't really do anything except eat on both Thursday and Friday; poor fellow didn't want to/couldn't get out. Moral of the story: Don't get sick so that you can do missionary work!
Ok so real quick, here are some fun stories that I forgot to tell you guys from last week.
1) Elder Whitehead and I almost won $10,000. We got some ad in the mail for a tent sale at a car dealership with a scratch-away-to-see-if-you-won lottery thing on it. We scratched and we won. Well, we thought we won. We studied that paper for hours! As far as we could tell we won, so after the John Bytheway fireside we stopped by the dealership to claim our 10,000 bucks, but...... we only won a second chance to win. Hhahahaha we were so let down, we thought for sure we would be missionary thousandaires hahah.
2) On our way back from John Bytheway last week the ward stopped at a mall to eat some supper and it was so weird being in a populated area!!!! hahaha it was blowing my mind how many people were around and how they were all different ethnicities. I guess that means I've been in the country for a little while haha :)
Well, I do believe I had my final Southern dish this week...meaning that now I have tried all of the ones that people told me about. Black Eyed Peas. haha I thought they were pretty boring--apparently you have to put sauce or seasonings on them to enjoy it.
We had a really good lesson with our investigator Jeremy on Wednesday. He is 22 years old and lives with some less-active members in the ward. They have been teaching him a lot about the church, so when we went over there instead of doing what we had planned to do, we answered his questions and taught him about the 3 degrees of glory. It was a really awesome spiritual lesson. It makes so much of a difference when you are teaching someone who is really interested and there aren't any distractions from the rest of the household like the tv or dogs or whatever. The Spirit was just so strong there; we all enjoyed it so much. At the end of the lesson we asked him how he felt and he said, "I feel all tingly inside" with a huge smile on his face. It was awesome to hear a 22 year old man, wearing work boots with manly facial hair saying that he felt tingly haha. That is just the converting power that the Holy Ghost has.
That was while I was on an exchange with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Jones. It was a fun time. I love learning from other missionaries. Elder Jones is really good at street contacting and just talking to people that he doesn't know. On Saturday we prayed before we left our apartment that we would be able to meet some people interested in the gospel. We then went to go visit an investigator, who wasn't home. At her apartment complex I talked to a kid outside. He had just moved in that day. I gave him some stuff to read and a card with the church address and service time. That was our first new investigator we found that day. Then we drove down the street to get gas and at the station we met 4 people interested in the Gospel. We gave out 3 copies of the Book of Mormon and got all of their contact info. I know that God answers our prayers when we seek sincerely and have real intent.
This week we had a mini zone conference. It is so awesome to be a missionary and to be able to learn from all of our meetings and feel the Spirit. It is like constant rejuvenation. Haha, here is a funny story. After the Zone Conference we all went out to lunch. Half of the group went to Chick-fil-A and then the rest of them went to Burger King. After we ate we walked across the street to meet up with the other guys at BK. When I walked in they were all huddling together and they called me and the other guys over and said, "A member bought our food, so we're gonna sing a song."
In our mission there is a tradition that whenever the Relief Society provides food for our missionary meetings, we sing "As I Have Loved You", the childrens Primary song. No one knew this random member who had paid for all of the food, but we followed out our tradition and thanked her by singing. We started and the whole restaurant got quiet and started listening to us. It was really pretty and afterwards people clapped for us. It was an awesome missionary experience where we were able to thank this member and let the whole restaurant hear a message about Christ and feel the Spirit. It goes, "As I have loved you, love one another. This new commandment, love one another. By this shall men know ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." Simple, yet beautiful. And that's what the gospel is all about.
LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!
Elder Caplinnnnnn

No comments:
Post a Comment