Monday, October 4, 2010

When she saw us coming, she started RUNNING...

Helloooooooo!!!!
 
Summer is gone...
FALL is here in the Cornelia area! It turned from warm, summer days to cool, breezy, crisp autumn days really quickly! The leaves have begun to change colors and fall a little bit, and I am getting excited. Fall is everyone's favorite season out here so I am glad to be able to enjoy it in the NE GA mountains. 
 
This weekend was crazy and fun for Elder Whitehead and me. It was General Conference (which was awesome) and it was the Cornelia Apple-town Festival, which we helped out with. We got up super early to help the city set up for that. It was fun. 
 
Missionary Service at Community Events: Cornelia Apple Festival
 
Cornelia is just a cute little southern town. There were vendors lining all the streets. I tried fried apple pie for the first time and IT IS SOOO GOOD! haha. We bought some from the grocery store afterwards to store in the freezer for whenever we are craving it in the future. 
 
The Conference talks were super great. Unfortunately, none of the people we are working with showed up :(. We had been inviting people like crazy to attend. Seeing Temple Square on the tv reminded me how much I love Utah. Utah rules. The west is the best.

I wish I would have known that you guys were going to conference because then I would have looked for you! That is so awesome. I'm so happy for you guys. Watching conference at a church in GA made me realize how much I love Utah. I didn't get homesick at all, but I just love Utah. The mountains are beautiful, and I love Temple Square. Some of the ward members out here save their money for yearsssss just so that they can go to SLC. So anyway, that's fun that you got to be there for all the hustle and bustle and got to eat at a buffet and spend the night in SLC!
 
Well, it was kind of a tough week this past week. Our investigator Jason dropped his baptismal date. He said we could still be friends and meet with him and stuff, but he said that he really thinks he doesn't want to get baptized into a different church. (He is a Baptist.) So we are praying hard and trying to help him work out any concerns that he might have. 
 
Elder Whitehead and I also decided that we need some more people to work with because our teaching pool is kinda low. We met with a guy who is going to a Baptist college. He wanted to talk to us about our church and the scriptures. He said he is writing a paper on the Mormon faith. That was very interesting. He was just asking tons of questions, jumping all over the place, using scriptures to try and tell us that the Book of Mormon contradicts our beliefs. 
 
We also met with a Jehovah's Witness this week. He talked to us about their beliefs. It is awesome to see what different people and different faiths emphasize on. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is what can tie us all together, so it was a good time talking to all these different people. It really is crazy how many different people you meet as a missionary. We met an old lady yesterday. When she saw us coming, she started running up her driveway trying to escape from us by going inside her trailer haha. By the end of our ten-minute conversation, she said that she was very glad to have met us, and we felt glad about it as well even though she wouldn't listen to anything about the Restoration. :) It's fun just being out here and helping people out and talking to people.
 
Tomorrow we have a mini zone conference, which I am excited about. Today we are going to try to feed some ducks somewhere if we can find them because we were given some expired loaves of bread haha.

 
Life is good here in Cornelia. I really, really enjoyed conference. I can't wait till we get the messages printed in the Ensign. There is a lot to be learned from the mouths of the prophets.
 
Love,
 
Elder Caplin 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment