Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Up towards the North Carolina border...

Hiiiiii!!!
 
It's so weird how time goes by as a missionary. I CANNOT believe that my first transfer with Elder Whitehead is almost over (this is the last full week), and it feels like it's been SO LONG since I was home! Well, let it be known that I love you and miss you all. For real.
 
Well this past little while we have unfortunately or fortunately (I can't decide which) had quite a few contacts with anti-Mormon people. It is good because it makes you study really hard to know the gospel, but it is bad because they are so relentless and it hurts because they say that we aren't Christian. I have been doing lots of studying about Jesus Christ and the Godhead. I know that Jesus lives and that his mission was and is to be the Redeemer of mankind. I know that God loves us and that is why he sent his Son and the Holy Ghost to help us here on our mortal journeys.
 
I was on an exchange Monday through Wednesday with Elder Mastaler here in Cornelia. I love exchanges because I love watching how other missionaries work and teach. We visited a few new people that we met or somehow met us. It's interesting to run into people who knew previous missionaries haha. We ran into one lady this week and she said, "Hey! What happened to the other two??" It turns out that those missionaries had gone home forever ago hahah.
 
Elder Whitehead and I are thinking about making a comic about how we help old (er) people with their technology. This week we fixed a homebound member's dvd player so that he can listen to the BofM on CD, we got the audio files of the BofM on someone else's Kindle, and we put the triple combination book on another lady's Kindle to read haha.
 
The ward is doing really well with going out with the missionaries and taking us around. This week was awesome. We had someone with us almost everyday. In Preach My Gospel it says we should try to have a member present at every lesson. I didn't understand why at first, but now I know how important it is. Members help investigators feel at ease, and also when the missionaries get transferred the investigators will be able to have friends in the ward to help them along their gospel progression.
 
Also, Elder Whitehead and I did something that we think is super awesome. We made a marking chart where we can give each other gold stars for things we do that are good and demerits for things we do that are bad. It has become pretty funny. We nail each other for some pretty funny things.
 
A bunch of our progressing investigators stopped progressing, so that was kind of a bummer this week, but we are doing lots of good work with the Less Active/ Part Member families. There were a ton of less actives at church yesterday, which was awesome. Also, a lady that we have been working with was able to take the sacrament for the first time in over 20 years yesterday--we were very happy for her.
 
On Saturday a man from the ward who lives in Rabun County picked us up to go do work up towards the North Carolina border. Haha--It took over 5 hours for us to visit 5 people. Our ward is huge. But we love it.
 
Well, I love you so much. Thank you so much for all the support that you give me.
 
Be safe,
 
Elder Mikey T. Caplin

No comments:

Post a Comment